22 September 2013

International Orientation Programme Summary Part I


Hello gang,

Orientation Week had ended for me not too long ago and yesterday I had moved in to my flat in Millstone C3 in Endcliffe! Every day last week there were jam-packed activities starting from breakfast served at 7:30 to the last activity that would end past 22:00. I will do a quick summary of each day to highlight the days and hopefully do it in just one post:

Monday: The first full day of the programme consisted of tours around the area including the Information Commons, a 24 hour library open for all students.

















For the week, I lived in Stephenson Hall is in Endcliffe Village where some of our activities took place and where they provided us meals.

I had taken some pictures outside of where I was staying for the week in the previous blogpost, so go check that out ;).  I will post the rest on Facebook.

The only problem I had with it was where I was living, we did not have working water for the bathroom. Don't worry I did shower every morning, but I had to go step outside and get into a few of my friends building to use their shared bathrooms. It was not a fun experience that began on Tuesday night and wasn't fixed until end of the programme.

The last thing I did on Monday was take part of a Dance Class. There were two one-hour sessions in which the Sheffield's society of Latin and Ballroom dancing taught us very basic moves for Waltz and the Cha-cha. It was quite fun and I thought I did well.


Tuesday: One of the first main activities I took part of was the Ice Breakers that began at 10:00. Here we did some introductory activities and games to meet people. I am surprised at how many nationalities of students are here from all over.

Afterwards we had a talk about the newly-refurnished Student Union that was awarded as the number one University Union in the UK. That is really impressive and the tour they gave us clearly showed why it was highly reputable.





There are so many club/bar nights during the week that students can go to that makes late night at the uni so worth it all. Many rooms and areas for all sorts of activities. I mostly enjoy the music and dancing so I will try to make the most out of what the school has to offer. Of course, it will be in the evening when I am done with my studies for the day ;-) I will try to talk about night life at Sheffield in some other post in the future.



I had lunch at Interval with some friends and then towards the evening, we were given talks in the auditorium. Lot of helpful information given out, but as a third year student, quite of number of things were familiar to me.


Now on to Quiz Night! Teams of ten students sit together at a table and are given list of trivia questions. Categories include Sheffield, British, International and random knowledge. It was quite fun trying to play to win this game. Learned a few things about Sheffield and that a whale can jump higher than a leopard and a human-I still do not know why....

Lastly, a group of us went to Bar One, the Student Union's bar. Some of us played pool, talked and had some drinks. Good way to end a day.


Well I would write more but I'll save it for a little later. Want to grab some morning grub while I walk past all the freshers moving in today! Part II will be posted soon, take care guys.

Bye~







No comments:

Post a Comment