01 November 2013

Intro Week

Didn't I say I would post real soon from the previous blogpost? Well here I am! I am going to briefly go over the first two actual weeks of Sheffield after orientation week ended.  
(Edit: yeah I say a lot of things....)

I will first start off with my room! 

Room and Flat:

I am finally in a single room! No more sharing a dorm room with someone or a common area, such as closet and bathroom, with people. Oh how it has made life so much easier for me... I am the one that controls my own living space, it is nice and cozy. The kitchen/lounge I do share though... with flatmates! 










I live in a flat with 5 other gentlemen in which we all get along very well. The kitchen is nice, with two large refrigerators for us to store our food, along with cupboard spaces and a toaster and kettle for all the tea I have been drinking here...Yum!





It is nice to be able to cook/make food on my own and have the chance to kick back in my room anytime I want.... I could get used to this ;-)









Intro Week:

Intro Week came the week after move-in day, when students from UK and elsewhere arrived. It is an entire week dedicated to Uni students jampacked with events and activities for everyone! It allows freshers, or first-year students, to get adjusted to moving into the university; Intro Week is also known as Fresher's Week. There was so much going on each day that at times it was difficult to choose what to do. For the most part I met up with people from International Orientation Week and hung out with them everyday. 

It was the best decision I made to do Orientation beforehand because my best established friend groups are all international students and from that first week in Sheffield. Some of my best memories still come from that first week and it is very special to me...

Anyways...moving on with quick summaries!

I participated in a student BBQ and Fresher's Beach Party the first day... dance clubs at the Student Union are pretty fun and lotta people go to weekly parties that the Uni offers.

On Monday 23/9 I watched the film The Perks of Being a Wallflower, saw it back at UB but I loved it so much I enjoyed it again with a group of people for a movie night. Next I headed to the Union's Interval Cafe Bar for Jazz Night! I hung out with some other people and enjoyed music for a while before heading out.



One of the many skills that Cassie has... it is a napkin hat from the night :)















Tuesday I gathered my dorm supplies that I bought in the City Centre and brought it to my kitchen/room. I needed to buy plates, glasses, etc... I went back to City Centre for the afternoon and did some stuff. Here's a selfie :3
<----


Wednesday the 25th,  I did laundry in the morning, much needed laundry after over a week of being in Sheffield. That night I went to another Sheffield party, had a blast and enjoyed dancing a lot!

Thursday was key, course registration and passport screening. This day was also Activities Festival, I joined the Chemical Engineering Society, Photography Society, and Sociedad Hispánica. It was cool getting student discounts at bars and pubs, totally different from home but the deals were really good!

 I was mostly running around everywhere this day. I was also trying to get a email from UB to show the registration people that I was able to enroll in less courses than what I had signed up for because one of my courses conflicted with another one in my schedule. It was frustrating and a very long day for me. The night was a little more relaxed... Mad Mexican night was a hoot!


Poor Thibaut, no mustache for him...guess he needed a drink to grow one....

International kids ... whadup

I was expecting to get Burritos with friends buuuuut they did not have any and the "free nachos" they handed out was for each table. Not per person like one may expect... nonetheless I took a good number of pictures and had a jolly good time ;)

Friday... Took a look at what sports Sheffield has to offer and was interested in playing football but long story short, the group of guys that were interested in playing in a league fell short. So I will just have to look for pickup games during the fall and winter months. Gym membership is too expensive for me me for the 9 months I plan on staying in Sheffield... it costs over $350 and they do not have a running track nor is it big like the gyms I have been to. 

This evening I was trying to sort out my phone situation because I had wanted to sign up with Giffgaff to be able to get unlimited text and data and 250 UK minutes a month (costs just under $20). The phone company was having real issues with the wave of people trying to sign up at the same time so it rang up my credit card twice and my friend's card too but said the bank was declining the cards so the Sim just would not activate. Anyways I went out with friends to get my mind off things and went to a friends small party.



Saturday! I did sign up in advance to take part in two activities that cost money. It is cool how at the Uni, you can buy events for things at a box office for pretty much anything and Sheffield does not hammer students with ridiculous fees in the beginning of the year to cover all expenses. Here students pay for what  events they want to take part of upfront. Although I keep reading how the fees here at high for the Uni but I am not entirely sure.

Dodgeball was the first event I took part of that day... my team did shotty work and we lost all our games. We laughed about it afterwards but it was pretty bad... I had fun though because a bunch of us came out to play.

That night was a flat party at one place and then I went along with the crowd and kinda bounced around the rest of the night. It was alright... nice seeing a bunch of different faces and hanging out with people like this for once. Back home it is much different... here I do moderate partying its alright :)
















And finally we have Sunday the 29th of September:

I signed up for speed dating that night thinking with friends that it was more of a way to meet people, but it turned out it was a little more serious than the group of friends I was with had thought of! Oh boy the Interval Cafe was filled with heart shaped balloons and everyone there took it pretty serious...why so serious?    -___- ...  One cool thing came out of that night.. my friends met this cool guy who then has hung out with us several times now. I thought the night was still fun but interesting with the set up of having to fill a score sheet to see if you want to contact those people again...
"Call me maybe?"
...."Don't think so."

Well folks that is about it. I always end up writing more than I thought I was going to and I have been going at this for just under 2 hours wow look at the time! 

Ok take it easy guys~



No comments:

Post a Comment